Monday, February 11, 2013

Positively Minutiae: Grammy Edition.

What a night!  For the first time in a long time Geoff and I actually recognized most of the songs nominated and performed at the Grammys!   We feel so cool.  I attribute this almost completely to being parents of teenagers.  Music is such a huge part of their day-to-day lives that I feel we have a constant soundtrack going in our home.  Geoff and I are pretty lucky our kids listen to music we like (for the most part).  Eliza has a pop/folk vibe going and JD prefers a wide range of styles from soul to rock to rap.  Although, we could probably do without Dub Step (hoping this is a short term curiosity) - and, cutting back on the F-bomb wouldn't be a bad idea either.  Seriously.

It's been a long road back to being "current" musically.  About two weeks after having Eliza, Lullababy rose to the top of our charts and became our favorite album.  From there, our family dove deeply into a Kids Bop phase.  I'm embarrassed to admit, but Kids Bop introduced me to Britney Spears, Smashmouth and Avril Lavigne.  Occasionally we would incorporate a new (non-Kids Bop) artist - we discovered Gwen Stefani's Love. Angel. Music. Baby. album while visiting Park City, Utah.  Considering some of the subject matter covered in the music, the irony was not lost on us.  For the most part though, Kids Bop was our linchpin to the music scene for quite a few years.


We actually prided ourselves on not being a 'Wheels on the Bus' family and sort-of felt we exposed our kids to the grittier side of life with the hits performed by the edgy youngsters of Kids Bop.  There came a point that, as our kids got older, we transitioned from Kids Bop and Disney Radio to listening to regular stations in the cars.  Sometimes, I'd hear one the the songs we first discovered with Kids Bop and was surprised to find I often preferred the Kids Bop version. I don't know if this was because my virginal ears hadn't been exposed to real lyrics for so long, or because I knew we'd never return to Kids Bop again.  As is the usually case with parenting, like it or not, we are able to consciously observe the end of eras - we see it coming and can't do anything to change it.

Anyway, it felt good to once again hear music we were familiar with.  I also discovered that I dress pretty much like one of the guys in the group Fun..  I'm still wrestling with my feelings on that issue.

There is no fashion pic today because I haven't moved out of leggings, a loose white t-shirt and a long cardigan since Eliza had her surgery.  Nothing photo worthy.  I'm excited to wear pants with a zipper this week.

Justin Timberlake gets my vote for best-dressed male at the Grammys.  He can do no wrong.


And best-dressed female, in my opinion, would be Rocsi Diaz.  I don't think a dress is required at the Grammys.  But that's just me.


It's Meatless Monday (again).  The breakfast cereal served up last week was a hit.  We may revisit that menu when we're pressed for time and I'm looking to gain favor with the kids. Today however, I'm thinking of a saute of tomatoes, spinach and white beans over a whole grain garlic bread.  Garlic bread makes everything better.  Plus we need the veggies - I fear scurvy.

And finally, Sunday was Eliza's 15th birthday.  She was born at 8:06 a.m. on February 10th, and that time will forever be my favorite because it marks the moment I became a mom.  Eliza has made my life so wonderful, just by being in it - she changed it completely.  I love her with all my heart - more than she will ever know or ever could imagine.   She is funny, smart and strong and a truly beautiful person, inside and out.  I really admire her.  I know right now she's busy becoming who she wants to be, but I hope she hears me when I tell her how much I love her and I hope she knows how much her love means to me too.

gratitude:  quiet, routine, laughter, my new Bare Minerals primer

thanks and love.





2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this one! I echo your emotions on how being a mom makes life wonderful : )

    ReplyDelete