Friday, June 28, 2013

I Choose To Wear White Today. And Tomorrow I Will Choose To Spend A Good Amount Of Time On Stain Removal.

When did it become cool to glorify being 'busy'?  It seems lately like the common response you get when you ask someone how they've been is 'busy'.  Usually 'super busy' and typically people seem a little grumbly/harried/stressed about it.  Have you noticed this too? I've been guilty of it myself.  It seems 'busy' is used a lot as an excuse for not getting back to people or not scheduling an appointment or not cleaning the basement.  I know a lot of this blog is devoted to sharing my stories of 'busyness', but what I've worked on in my life lately is to view this busyness from a place of gratitude.  And the result of choice.  I've read a lot about this concept.  Choice is the key.  We are doing things because we choose to do them.  And the opposite is also true, in that if we don't do something, it's usually because we chose not to do it.  Like when we don't call someone back or don't make that appointment or don't clean the basement.

Really, we do things because they provide us with stuff we want - like a comfortable lifestyle, enriched and active children, better health or even a house that doesn't look like a scene from Hoarders: Buried Alive.  The shift in our thinking comes from viewing the things we do as choices we make because we like what we get as a result - rather than as drudgery we resent.  And when we don't do something, accepting that we chose not to - like choosing not to work a certain job or not going to that dinner party or even choosing to skip a workout that day.  It's not wrong to say 'no', but we need to take responsibility for our choice not to and honor the reason why we made that choice.  Just try it.  It kind of shifts your perspective.  We are choosing to live the way we do every single day.

“In the long run, we shape our lives, and we shape ourselves. The process never ends until we die. And the choices we make are ultimately our own responsibility.” 
 Eleanor Roosevelt


Oh, Eleanor.  You were so wise.

I choose to start my weekend off on the patio with some music, my family (whichever of them happens to be home at the time) and a glass (or two) of wine.  Currently we're enjoying the Black Box Sauvignon Blanc.  Nothing fancy, budget-friendly, and easily accessed.  All good.

I hope you all choose to treat yourselves to something that makes you happy too.

I'm wearing this:


I'm going all white.  I've seen a lot of this on Pinterest and it certainly seems like a 'cooling' look for the scorchingly hot days we've had recently in Colorado.  The wrist full of bracelets is critical to keep the look from taking on an Orkin man or ice cream truck driver feel.

gratitude:  single color bouquets, children's theater performances, paychecks, banana bread (without nuts, of course)

thanks and love.




No comments:

Post a Comment