Wednesday, June 19, 2013

I Refer To An Edgar Degas Painting In This Post, Officially Putting To Good Use My Art History Minor. My Parents Will Be So Relieved.

My name is Mallory and I'm an Angry Birds and Words With Friends addict.  I haven't played a single game of either for over a year now.  I'm recovering.  I'm pretty proud of myself for quitting cold turkey - I didn't even need an intervention.  It just occurred to me that something needed to change after waking up bleary-eyed and preoccupied because I'd spent my third night in a row gaming on my iphone until the wee hours.  I've also found myself planning to arrive early to pick up one of the children just so I had some extra uninterrupted time to play, then focusing so entirely on where best to use the valuable letter 'J' or finding the ideal angle to fling the bird that splits into three smaller birds, that I failed to notice my own child waiting just outside the locked passenger door.  It's not pretty.

I've been very up front with people about how easy it is for me to fall into the traps set by these kinds of games.  It's a weakness of mine.  That's why I find it so incredible that people, friends and members of my own family even, will send me Facebook invitations to join them playing Candy Crush Saga.  Even after they flat out admit that this game is taking over their lives.  Misery loves company, doesn't it?

I feel like these games are the Absinthe of the 21st century.  After a marathon binge of one of them, we all start to look (and feel) a bit like the subject of this Degas painting, don't we?


The look on her face says it all.  At first you're having fun, then you start to hallucinate and suddenly two days pass and you find yourself sitting next to a shady character in a bar in Paris sometime in the early a.m.   It's just not worth it.

So no, I won't give you another life in Candy Crush and I won't be joining you either.  Maybe you need to remove the game from your device and call me the next time you feel like playing.  I could be your sponsor, because I know how hard it is to kick this habit.  But man, you have to because your family wants dinner.  And what about maybe doing the laundry?  Or writing that proposal?  Or showering?

Of course, Dots is kinda fun to play...

I'm wearing this today:

Shorts and a t-shirt allow me to do everything from writing brochure copy to cleaning a guinea pig cage.  The necklace allows me to do it all with a little style.

Happy Wednesday.  Here's a nice quote to chew on.

"Turn your face toward the sun and the shadows will fall behind you."  - Maori proverb

gratitude:  morning meditating, egg salad, wicker, home

thanks and love.


No comments:

Post a Comment