Monday, June 3, 2013

A Little Bit On Lacrosse, Port-a-Potties and Slimy Food.

What a weekend!  It was our third weekend in a row of lacrosse tournaments and by far this was the best one yet.  Our boys played up a division and were seeded 11th out of 12 teams.  They lost their first game, but went on to play in the Championship.  On their way, they beat the team they lost to originally, as well as the number one seed in the bracket.  They played five games yesterday including the Final and lost in it (just barely) to the second seed.  I've never seen a group of 13-year-old boys work together so hard for so long.  It was incredible.  And totally wonderful.  And I imagine I'm not the only parent in the group starting today with odd tan lines and sore feet.

I learned a few things this weekend.

Do not, under any circumstance, wear a gladiator sandal if you intend to stand in the sun for 12 straight hours.  There are no words to describe what your feet look like the next day.  I may be wearing socks for awhile to prevent those around me from becoming concerned that I have a 'condition'.  It's not pretty.

If you are attempting to relieve yourself in a port-a-potty, do not wear sunglasses while you are completing the task.  It gets very hot in the little green booth, and if you are managing an altered version of "The Hover" (a classic maneuver used by women in public restrooms), your glasses will begin to slide off your face toward the shiny patch on the floor under the men's urinal.  The physical dexterity it takes to catch them before they hit the ground while maintaining a safe distance from the toilet seat will leave your heart racing and could very possibly result in a strained hamstring.

No matter how hungry you are, do not eat the last remaining chip in an order of smothered potato chips.  The dish is quite tasty at the start, but after sitting in the sun for half an hour and being picked at by your tablemates, the texture of the chip and the coagulated sliminess of the smothering sauce will leave you on the verge of a gag for the next hour.  The only cure is a glass of wine.  Then an Altoid.

I'm wearing this today:

Today is a behind the scenes kind of day so shorts and a t-shirt are perfect.  I'd throw on one of my favorite long necklaces if I weren't planning to do 300 loads of laundry, but they tend catch on clothes while I shove them into the machine and I'm not willing to risk their destruction.  So a nice wrist loaded with wrap bracelets makes me feel like I've completed my look and can still manage all my glamorous tasks.  Laundry, grocery shopping and bill paying await.  We have no food in the house.  I offered JD a handful of stale corn chips or half a chocolate chip cookie for breakfast.  He chose the cookie.

gratitude:  the start of summer, time to reorganize, email, fresh towels

thanks and love.






No comments:

Post a Comment