Friday, May 3, 2013

JD's Bus Driver And I Are Locked In A Battle Of Wits. Edge Of Your Seat Excitement, No?

I'm ashamed to admit, but when I wake up in the morning, JD's bus driver is one of the first things that comes to mind.  The guy never should have chosen a career that requires adhering to a schedule.  And because he doesn't understand what 'on time' means, I've taken to obsessing over his unpredictability.

Based upon the info we were given at the beginning of the school year, our pick-up time is 6:50 a.m.  The bus driver has been on-time about twice.  Sometimes he's three minutes early, sometimes five minutes late.  But it's not like he stays and waits for kids to show up at the scheduled time if he comes early.  If you're not there at 6:47, he's moving on.

I tried to figure out his system. There really wasn't any pattern to it and that's what was so vexing.  It seemed like he was late mostly on bad weather days - I cut him some slack assuming he probably had to scrape all 300 windows on the bus himself.  So on a few of the days we saw snow this winter, we'd slide in about 6:52 because all our evidence supported his arrival by 6:55.  That worked for a while, then suddenly we were driving up to the stop during a snowstorm at 6:51, and he was pulling away.  A cunning move indeed, Mr. Bus Driver.

He even achieved a personal best in lateness during the big storm two weeks ago.  He came 30 minutes late and by the time he arrived, our car was full of middle schoolers who looked like they were part of an ill-fated Everest expedition.

A few weeks ago, I'd had enough.  I refused to be beaten by his unpredictability.  JD has played along because I think he too, doesn't want to experience defeat at the hands of an erratic bus driver.  The goal (unspoken as it is) is to be at the bus stop at 6:47, rain or shine.  This ensures - whether or not our driver is early, late, or shockingly on-time - we're there.  The new system requires some speed on our part, but it appears to be working and I actually get a nice boost having to channel my competitive spirit so early in the day.

I just hope we can keep it up until the end of the school year.  Maybe on the final day, in the spirit of good sportsmanship, I'll get out of the car and shake the bus driver's hand.  I'll look him in the eye and congratulate him on a game well played.  And I'll leave, in my pajama bottoms and sweatshirt, holding a cup of coffee, the victor.

I'm wearing this today.

Skinny jeans, black T, neutral statement necklace, and a pop of color in my shoe.  It's casual, but not laying on the couch casual.

And, since it's the Cinco de Mayo and Kentucky Derby weekend we should all enjoy something fabulous to sip.  A Mint Julep is just out of my comfort zone - the thought of bourbon and mint makes me a little queasy.  So, I'm suggesting this - a strawberry basil margarita.  Clearly more of a nod to Cinco de Mayo, but it sounds fab.  Here it is (I found the recipe on the The Effortless Chic website).

First you need to make a strawberry simple syrup.  Combine 1 cup sugar, 1 cup water and 4-5 sliced strawberries in a saucepan.  Bring it to a boil and simmer for 10-15 minutes.  Cool the syrup, then strain it through a sieve, pressing the strawberries to get all the liquid out.

To make the margs, you will add to a shaker with ice, 2 Tbs. of roughly chopped basil, 2 oz. Tequila, 1 oz. strawberry simple syrup, 1 oz. fresh lime juice and a splash of Cointreau.  Shake at least 60 times and pour into a glass.  Yum.

gratitude:  Fritos, sunshine, lanterns, green grass

thanks and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment