Monday, April 22, 2013

I Want A Nap. And Someone To Make Me Lunch. But Mostly A Nap.

It's funny to look at a Monday and the beginning of the work/school week as a break from the 'busyness' of a weekend - but that's exactly how I feel.  I woke up this morning and felt 'Ah, Monday!'  Routine, predictability, the daily grind - finally! I'm sure by Wednesday this will wear off, but right now, I'm luxuriating in it.

Eliza was helping out at Prom this weekend and I slept for about 30 minutes Saturday night as a result.  She was supposed to spend the night at a friend's house, but I had requested periodic, update texts throughout the event (which was scheduled to run until 4 a.m. - dear gravy!).  To her credit, she did contact me a few times (after I sent a very friendly inquiry text) even though I'm sure it was a burden to have to report in.  For that I am grateful.

However, even if you're expecting to receive a text or call during the wee hours of the night, you still have a mild heart attack each time your cell phone alerts you and pulls you out of whatever kind of pathetic sleep you were in previously.  Turns out she and another friend decided to spend the night at our house so I found myself driving to a 3 a.m. pick up on Sunday morning.  I impressed myself with surprising alertness at that hour and even managed to dodge a coyote with a death wish on the way to the school.  Of course, after the adrenaline rush of the open road and engaging in actual conversation with two teenage girls, sleep didn't come easy.  I'm still feeling it's absence.

I had big plans, y'know, for the weekend.  I procured all the foodstuffs to prepare a fabulous and healthy pot of white beans and sausages to be served with a dollop of pesto atop each steaming bowl.  Something that would scent the house, fill us up and symbolize home and comfort for days.  Turns out we actually never ate dinner together as a family all weekend and it seemed like every time I opened the refrigerator over the past few days, the kielbasa waiting in there on the shelf mocked our lack of familial coziness.

Well, Mr. Kielbasa, your days a numbered.  Of course, this being Meatless Monday, you're off the hook tonight, but I'm coming for you on Tuesday.

I'm wearing this today:


It feels a little British rocker/cowboy.  Not sure if I'm emotionally connecting to either one.  But, it'll have to do.  The laundry has backed up a bit and my options are limited.

For Meatless Monday we're having the Pioneer Woman's Best Grilled Cheese Ever.  At least that's what it's called in her cookbook.  Here's a link to the same recipe on her website.  We've had it before, and it is fabulous.  A Meatless Monday dish that doesn't cause whining is always nice to find.

gratitude:  70 degrees by the end of the week, the promise of a night at home together, roll-on perfumes, wardrobe additions

thanks and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment