Friday, January 11, 2013

Breaking Up Is Hard To Do.

I need to break up with our milk delivery company.  We've been together for such a long time - I honestly can't remember what life was like without them.  But just before Christmas, as I pulled into our garage, a sales rep for another milk company was leaving our front door.  He stopped in the driveway and waited for me to get out of the car.  I'd never even considered another milk company, so I had every intention of brushing him off.  But once he started talking about milk quality, glass bottles vs. plastic, Vitamin Cottage/Whole Foods kinds of natural goodness, Colorado proud and happy cows - I was hooked.  Then he capped off his spiel with two bottles of egg nog.

I couldn't bring myself to cancel with our old service during the holidays.  It just didn't feel right, so we took milk from both companies and ended up with 43 bottles of skim in our refrigerator.  After the holidays I told myself it was time to let the old company go, but I chickened out at the last minute and only cancelled that week's delivery.  Now I have to drop the bomb.  I can't keep leading them on.  They're a great company and we were never unhappy with them.  This new company just has so many great qualities, not to mention nicer coolers for drop off, a good website and unsweetened lemonade during the warmer months.  Really, it's not them, it's me.

I doubt the old company will be devastated by the news.  They probably read the writing on the wall when they delivered our milk and saw the other company's cooler in our courtyard.  I'm sure they won't lay on their couch crying, eating ice cream, writing in their journal and burning our old invoices.  Still, I just feel bad.  I have to do it though, we can't keep up with our milk supply.  I'm running out of smoothie and chowder recipes.  I've even considered using it with champagne in a little brunch delight I'm calling a Milkmosa.  I'm just going to make sure I'm not home when they come by to pick up their box.  That would be so uncomfortable.

I'm wearing this today.


Mostly because it's cold.  After the holidays I prefer temps in the 70's so I'm throwing on a wool crewneck.  I'm doing it ironically though.  Of course, there's nothing ironic about the awesome necklace.  The Lillith.  Sigh.

gratitude:  our new coffee-maker, fresh herbs, Advil, Yogaglo (online yoga studio), this video and everyone who made it

thanks and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment