Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Yesterday, For Earth Day, I Bought A New Plant In Celebration Of The Holiday. I Think I Heard Mother Nature Let Out An Audible Groan.

Admittedly, I'm not a green thumb.  But I have such desire to be one that I feel it should count for something.  I really want to add more plants to our home - they offer health benefits, make you feel connected to nature, and give your decor kind of a funky 70's vibe.  All good, in my opinion.  So the plant I purchased yesterday is, what I would think, a good starter plant.  It's one of those mixed bowls of succulents.  Those are supposed to be low maintenance, right?  I certainly hope so because it's the plant maintenance that I struggle with from time to time.

Are some people born knowing how much to water a plant?  Because I was not.  We have a shamrock plant that has been around for several years now.  It's a real fighter, that one.  Sometimes the pot is bursting with willowy stems and leaves and sometimes there's just one withering sprig making a valiant effort to keep the entire pot from being pitched into the trash can.  It seems to me the plant begins to fail most often after I water it.  Isn't that what you're supposed to do?  When I ignore it, it takes off and sprouts all sorts of new life.  I don't get it.  Do I love too much?

Last year we babysat our neighbors lemon tree while they were in Brazil for a few months.  They left with us a lush, leafy shrub sporting numerous future lemons.  When they returned, it had approximately 15 leaves remaining, a lot of what appeared to be lemon raisins, and some kind of mite infestation.  It was an embarrassment.  And, unfortunately, not a surprise.

But, I'm not a quitter, so I'm giving it another go.  When I picked up the plant at Whole Foods, I whispered an apology to it - it seemed the right thing to do, all things considered.  I really want this to work.  I figure I managed to sustain two human babies, why not a few plants?  Here's to hoping my new Earth Day pot of succulents represents the turning of a new leaf (intended) in my quest for botanical success.  You can stop rolling your eyes now, Mother Nature.

I'm wearing this.

Somehow a peasant top, gladiator sandals, and moto jeans felt right for a conference with JD's math teacher.  I don't know why.

gratitude:  green things, asian salads, being happy right now, orchids

thanks and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment