Monday, August 19, 2013

Every Year At This Time, I Find Myself Longing For A Trapper-Keeper. And Feeling A Little Sad That Pee-Chees Are No Where To Be Found. School Supply Shopping Can Be Very Emotional For Me.

It's Back-to-School Eve!  Such an exciting time for oh, so many reasons.  I must say, this is really the first summer I've had post-school age children where I wasn't just a teensy bit burnt out on kid time 24/7.  My kids are older now and all of a sudden they have stuff to do.  On their own.  Like nannying, lawn care, hanging out with friends (walking most places, but quite a few pals can drive now too), sports, etc.  This summer I wasn't really in charge of filling time and providing entertainment as in years past.  Certainly, the late nights and constant stream of teens in and out of the house has been a little exhausting, but not to the point of massive annoyance (petite annoyance, maybe).  So I'm heading into the school year less focused on the peace of a full school day, but rather on embracing the fabulous FRESH START energy the back-to-school season brings.

I've picked out a lot of reading I want to do once we go back to school.  Not necessarily fiction, although there is always a bit of that happening on my iPad, but instead more in the "ways of thinking"/"what do I want to be when I grow up?" categories.  I'm really hoping this Fall will give me the focus I so crave.  To aid me in my quest I'm going to read Danielle LaPorte's Firestarter book.  It's kind of a work book, so it really feels back-to-school to me.  Which I like.  And Dani Shapiro's Still Writing.  I've read some articles she's written and I really like her style.  Also, Brene Brown's Daring Greatly.  A few days ago, I watched a YouTube video of her on Oprah's Super Soul Sunday and her theory of 'leaning into joy' is life changing.  Especially for someone, like me, who claims to want to embrace the joy of the present moment - you must listen, so here's the link.

The High House has been very well-loved this summer and, as a result, could use a little spa time I think in coming months.  If our house were a human body, our basement would be a clogged colon.  Therefore, it's very clear to me that I need to commit to a regular Goodwill drop.  I'm going to try to do one trip a week to Gdub and eventually (God willing) I will successfully clear our charming Fred Sanford basement.  And I'm looking for a housecleaning crew (this isn't a job for one person) to give us a DEEP clean.  I'm thinking maybe someone with some crime scene clean-up experience who might be looking for a project with less emotional weight to it, but that is still be a good test for their power cleaning skills.  Taking suggestions.  And, of course, the pigeon clean-up and attic reclamation project will be completed and not spoken of again until I am able to do so without developing a facial tic.  We're not there yet.

It's Meatless Monday, but I think I'm going to reschedule for Tuesday.  Since this is our last night of summer, we absolutely must grill cheeseburgers.  There will be veggies and a dessert, but those plans are still a little murky at this point.

I'm wearing this today.



I've been seeing a lot of butterflies in our backyard lately.  This one's for you Mr. Monarch.  Plus, my arm bruise is still obvious, so tank tops and most t-shirts are out for now.

gratitude:  talking in our room last night as a family before bed, kind of a cool breeze this morning, school supplies, new boots

thanks and love.


No comments:

Post a Comment