Monday, December 31, 2012

New Year's Eve.

Fashion-wise, by the end of the holiday season, I've got nothing left.  Hence, this ensemble for dinner at our neighbor's house.  Please note:  Geoff and I are still working on the photography angle.  I can't bear to see my face in these photographs, so in this case, you miss the fact that there were some awesome Stella & Dot earrings making quite a statement for me.  Alas.


Geoff thinks I looked like Dieter from Saturday Night Live.  He may have a point, but with the skinny pants, turtleneck and flats, I was aiming at least for a little Audrey Hepburn.  A little tip for those moments when you're feeling your least creative: dress in a single, neutral color.  Honestly, it looks instantly sophisticated and requires no analyzation, the simpler the better.  Leonardo da Vinci said, 'Simplicity is the highest form of sophistication'.  I must agree.  Plus a single color hides the fact that you may or may not have polished off an entire baguette on your own while cleaning the kitchen.

And now to New Year's Eve.

I no longer feel the slightest need to ring in the New Year from anywhere but my own couch.  To be honest, home has always felt most right to me for the occasion.  There have been those times in life when I've found myself at a crowded party, a city bar, or even an event at a total stranger's home dressed in something festive, eye makeup smudging, feet throbbing from the shoes that looked so cute when I bought them.  Usually the guy who was 10 years older than anyone else in the room, and possessing an abundance of facial hair, was inching closer as midnight approached.  I wanted nothing more than to get home, wash my face, slip on my jammies and socks and get out a good book.  Admittedly, I'm an introvert.

I have loved the different iterations of New Years we've experienced while raising kids.  My all time favorite are those wonderful ages when they are old enough to want to stay up til midnight and have perhaps set a little resolution for themselves that we might discuss, but they haven't started to feel like they should be doing something for the evening.

We have finally hit that do something point.  And, as a result, we'll be hosting a little teen soiree here this evening.  Geoff and I have determined that we will do whatever we can to make sure our house is a place kids want to hang out.  So today, that means Geoff will be hooking cable up in the basement by himself. Comcast assures us this is simple to do (insert nervous laughter).  And I will be out with Eliza and JD picking up party fare.  We think hosting something here is a nice compromise.  The kids can be with their friends but we still have them under our roof.  I'll take it.

I wish you all peace, love and joy for the New Year.  I really appreciate all of you reading this blog and I hope there will be times in the New Year the blog will make you happy.

gratitude:  The Smitten Kitchen cookbook, coffee, pencils, gas fireplaces

thanks and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment