Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Running Is Nothing Compared To All The Action Going On Inside My Head. If It's Not Inner Voices Having A Lively Debate, I'm Also Performing Several Musical Numbers Based Upon Whatever Comes Out Of My iPhone. My Duet With Justin Timberlake Is Really Something Special.

Maybe it's because I'm not a huge fan of my own voice (I think I sound like a Peanuts character), but when I run there is a lot of inner dialogue going on and it's not a one woman show.  Honestly, I think it really must be crowded in my head sometimes.  It's way more than the classic angel and devil talking me in and out of good choices.  I even have some famous people chiming in from time to time.

Sometimes, when I'm running up a hill, which in the western suburbs of Denver is really unavoidable, a whiny, toddler voice starts in (I think it's that weird yellow dinosaur that was on the Barney TV show).  "Whyyyy are we doing this?   We'll never make it!  I'm quitting NOW!"  And then, in a very predictable move, the Little Engine That Could jumps in with the classic "I think I can.  I think I can."  So I heed the spunky locomotive's words and continue chugging along.  When I finally get to a better place in the run, Oprah makes an appearance in my noggin with a celebratory cheer and the kind of joyous energy only experienced during one of her famous "My Favorite Things" episodes.

My favorite voice by far, and the one most often showing up for me, is Tim Gunn from Project Runway.  He's not so much there during exercise, but more throughout the rest of my day.  I love him.  He gets the designers to organize their thoughts and ideas, to push themselves creatively, and to pay attention to the schedule.  And he does the same for me from inside my little brain.  A lot of life is about being creative, working within a time frame, and doing your best, and Tim Gunn is the perfect presence to inspire me to do that while conquering any task at hand.  One of my favorite lines of his, when he's leaving the designers in the sewing room at midnight before the big show, is "Make it work, people!"

It's a great line for life.  Nothing is really ever perfectly perfect.  It would be weird if it was.  But in trying to live life as our best selves, we need to take what we've been given (good and bad), aim for what we want, and do our best to "Make it work."  Every single day.

I'm wearing this today.

Love the faux leather pants.  I'm not really sure if these are officially faux leather because the texture is a little weird.  To be honest, it looks a little like really thin elephant skin.  I'm just going to continue to refer to them as faux leather though, I'm sure you understand.  BTW, I had to go full body with the photo as the scarf made no sense without a head.

gratitude:  reader responses, inspiring holiday colors on Pinterest, Modern Family, chicken salad

thanks and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment