Friday, December 6, 2013

My Blog And I Are Having A Bit Of An Existential Crisis. I Think This Post Is A Cry For Help. Or A Celebration. Hard To Say, Really.

Today marks a milestone for Positively Minutiae (it's actually milestone eve, if we're nitpicking).  Tomorrow this little blog will have been up and running for an entire year.  Jeepers.  A year!  And what a year it's been.  You've seen me through a pigeon infestation, an Emmanuelle Alt wannabe phase, a road trip to the heartland, and countless other dribs and drabs of life.  The blog has actually had almost 22,000 page views over the year from as far away as Malaysia.  Wow.  I hope you've enjoyed what you've read.  I've throughly enjoyed writing it.

The blog kind of started out as a dare to myself.  Could I really write three times a week for an entire year?  And share whatever I produced with everyone?  Apparently, I can.  Whether or not that's a good thing hasn't been determined, but now we know it's possible.  Some posts have certainly been better than others.  But regardless of quality, this process has reminded me that I love writing.  I love being a writer.

I want to thank those of you who have been kind enough to comment or like or share what I've written.  Writing something and putting it out there for all to see is quite an exercise in vulnerability.  While it's exhilarating to some extent, it also opens you up for all sorts of anxiety.  When someone says they like what you're saying and doing it really means a lot.  And for what it's worth, getting approval from your former English teachers is like winning the bonus round.  So thanks to each and every one of you who has let me know you're reading what I'm writing.  And liking it.  Mostly.

Blogs are weird.  Anyone can start one.  It's nice because they give writers an outlet to share what they produce without having to deal with an approval process or ego-shattering rejection.  But, they (blogs) need to serve a purpose, I think.  That's where I get stuck.  For the last year, the purpose of this blog has been, first and foremost, to prove to myself I could do it.  Subsequently, I also wanted whatever I produced to be of some value to anyone kind enough to read it.  And I did it.  I met my goal and hopefully, you've at least enjoyed it a little bit.  So does that mean I stop here?

If I continue writing Positively Minutiae - why will I be doing it?  What is the purpose of this blog?  I don't want to keep putting stuff out there if it's not valuable to people.  And I certainly don't want to become an annoyance.  Writing makes me feel good and I want to make other people feel good when I write.  Is the blog the best way to do this?  I just don't know.

So that's where I stand on this momentous occasion.  On post number 152.  I'll probably be back on Monday for 153.  I'm shameless.

I'm wearing this:

Taking care of a little holiday shopping today.  Sometimes when doing holiday tasks, I like to pretend like I'm in a Christmas special.  Today the wardrobe department is going with leopard.  What does this say about my character?

gratitude:  all my blog readers, Beef Carbonade, new champagne cocktails to try, squeaky snow

thanks and love.


No comments:

Post a Comment