Tuesday, May 19, 2015

I've Been Watching A Lot Of Fitness Videos On YouTube Lately. They're Very Well Done And I'm Assuming Are Making Some Difference In My Overall Appearance, But I Struggle To Relate To The Teachers And Their Settings. Maybe I'll Post A Few Vids Of My Own - Appealing To The At-Home 40-Somethings. They'll Be Filmed In My Bedroom. I'll Be Wearing Pajama Bottoms, A Coffee-Stained T-Shirt, And I'll Be Sharing The Mat With Two Big Dogs And A Few Soggy Chew Toys.

I've had to amp up my fitness routine as we have a trip planned to Costa Rica next month so I'll be forced to wear things that include a good deal of Lycra and lack the coverage provided by my standard pair of skinny jeans. And even more distressingly, while I was talking and gesturing with my hands the other day, J.D.flicked my upper arm. While I was speaking. Just flicked it and it wobbled! Even though I was using that arm and you'd imagine holding it in the air would have caused the muscles to tighten enough to not wave. That was not the case. My upper arm waved like a chicken cutlet hanging from a wire. At that point I knew I didn't have a second to waste when it came to getting into shape.

Except, here's the thing. I know my weaknesses. I don't like to jump through a lot of hoops to get some exercise in and, while I have days I can devote an hour to fitness, there are other days I can only want to spare 15 minutes. I need a workout program that doesn't take too much effort or require a lot of time.

So I'm doing a few extra booty tightening sessions on YouTube and I found the dumbbells and a few of my old sculpting DVD's to dust off and put to use too. My main fitness thing though, has been and always will be, yoga. I truly believe almost everyone would benefit from a little daily practice. Even if it's just for 10 minutes. A simple series of yoga poses will get your circulation going, improve your posture and balance, calm your mind and help get you in the present moment. And, because I have hermit tendencies (and an unpredictable schedule), I can do yoga anytime in the comfort of my own messy bedroom with sites like YogaGlo or GaiamTV.

I know I'm more apt to exercise regularly if I don't make the whole process such an ordeal. If I can slip on my shoes and head out to jog around the 'hood (or a couple blocks, if I'm being honest) I'm more likely to do it than if I need to find a class time and drive to a club. And I'm more likely to want to exercise if what I'm doing makes my head and heart feel good - yoga for the win there. But that's just me.

So I'm going to forge ahead with my beefed up, but steadfastly simple fitness routine until we hit the beaches of Costa Rica. I currently look a little like a chicken in a swimsuit, so possibly with some toning and a few trips to the spray tan salon I'll look like a slightly more muscular, bar-b-qued chicken instead. I'm keeping my expectations in check.

I'm wearing this.
If this rain keeps up I'll be needing to add a snorkel.

gratitude: Bobbi Brown's Beach perfume, tortillas from Whole Foods, a weeded garden, family yoga sessions

thanks and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment